Thursday, May 14, 2015

The times they are a-changin'



I read in the Guardian that we have more LGB MPs than anywhere else, which is good. The article referred to the 1997 election, when Stephen Twigg was elected. It says, "Stephen Twigg was gay – a 'practising homosexual', to use a formula still popular at the time." It reminded me of a Suffolk six form conference I was invited to, as one of a panel of speakers on "controversial subjects", including homosexuality and abortion. Considering that, as far as I can remember, Section 28 was still in force, this was quite provocative. One of the other speakers was a member of the Gay and Lesbian Christian Movement and another was a homophobic evangelical vicar I'd come across before. He'd been "saved" and was determined to save as many others as he could. After quoting Leviticus (don't they all?), he said he didn't object to homosexuals if they didn't practice. I said that my gay friends didn't need to practice; they knew how to be gay. At this, the hall erupted, with the kids yelling and cheering, to the evident displeasure of the homophobe. I thought to myself, these kids are all right, and things are going to change. And they did.

No comments: