Thursday, June 21, 2012

Happy Midsummer!

The midsummer solstice was yesterday, the longest day of the year. From now until the midwinter solstice (21st December), the days will gradually get shorter. For reasons that would take too long to explain here, the Christian Church high-jacked the winter solstice and turned it into Christmas and did the same sort of thing with the spring equinox festival (Easter).

Some years ago, I conducted a funeral for a relative of a couple who live on the other side of town - I think I've done more than one funeral for their family. They didn't add me to their Christmas card list; they added me to their midsummer card list, as they don't send Christmas cards. I've saved most of them, which are hand made with witty messages inside. This is the latest, inspired by the Diamond Jubilee, with a real daisy on the crown.


And here is one from a previous year. Inside it says, "We are as the woodlouse - existing in the nooks and crannies of life (and the better for it too!)".

I'm thinking of giving up Christmas cards, which have had the greeting "Merry Midwinter!" and one of my seasonally appropriate photos, and sending midsummer cards instead. The only problem is that I'll have to let people know this winter, or they might think I'm dead.

No comments: