Monday, September 12, 2011

Sunday voices on 9/11

There's a poem by Joyce Grenfell that I've often used at funerals:
If I should go before the rest of you
Break not a flower not inscribe a stone,
Nor when I'm gone speak in a Sunday voice,
But be the usual selves that I have known.
Weep if you must.
Parting is hell
But life goes on
So sing as well.
That line about a "Sunday voice" struck a chord the first time I read it. I've avoided listening or watching any of the 9/11 stuff on TV because I knew there'd be a lot of Sunday voices. And what about those pits in the ground where the twin towers stood? They're deep, and they've got water in them. The first time I saw them it occurred to me that they'd be a magnet for would-be suicides. It would have been far better to use the site for a practical, positive, life-affirming purpose.

No comments: